Please note. . .

Don't Be Silent DC has been inactive since March 2008 and has not been accepting entries since. If you are in the DC area and have a harassment story to share, please go to HollaBack DC. If you are outside the DC area and want to submit your story, go to Stop Street Harassment. Thank you.


As of 3/1/08, I will no longer be working on this blog. Please read this post for more details.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Assault on the Red Line---Three Years Ago

In one of the DCist articles I was reading about crime and violent teens on Metro, I came across a link to this blog post. It may be three years old, but what is described in this story hit a nerve with me. A young woman trying to commute on the Red Line was assaulted by a rowdy group of teenage girls near Van Ness Station and had her iPod stolen. Try as she did to contact transit police and keep tabs on these girls to make sure they didn't get away, tney did indeed get away. [Note: From what I gathered from other posts on that blog, one of them was eventually caught (link). There is justice in this world after all.]

But what makes me irate is that nothing much has been done to curb crime on Metro since '05. You'd think they'd up their security on Metrobus and Rail, but nothing doing. Granted, I heard from someone on my community list serv that they're installing plexiglass a safety shield to protect the drivers. When Metro decides to do something to make it safer for its riders as well, then let me know. We pay too much money to worry for our safety while getting around.

No comments: